The School of Social Sciences offers programmes - BA(Hons), minor courses, and Graduate degrees up to the PhD level.
The BA in Sociology (Hons) is a four-year degree programme for undergraduates interested in pursuing a Major in Sociology at NTU. Students taking up Sociology as a Minor are encouraged to read courses which complement their interests and open up new intellectual horizons. Those interested in graduate studies can find the information they need under the graduate programme link.
A degree in Sociology at NTU provides graduates with a vast array of job opportunities in both the public and private sectors. Sociology majors are valued for their critical thinking and analytical skills. They also benefit from an in-depth understanding of social organisations, culture and other social phenomena.
The curriculum provides an intellectually stimulating and rigorous experience for students. The academic foundation consists of three core areas: Economy, Technology and Society; Culture, Self and Identity; and Organisations and Organisational Change. It provides both breadth of exposure and depth of engagement that emphasizes both theoretical reasoning and empirical analysis. Students should graduate with not just a body of knowledge and skills but also a 'sociological imagination' that will enable them to make the critical and creative difference in the workplace and in society.
Key features of our programme include:
- Stimulating courses, providing both breadth of exposure and depth of engagement
- Immersion in all core substantive areas and research methodologies
- Training and practice in analytical thinking and empirical reasoning
- Informed investigations of Singapore society, Asian societies, and beyond
- Critical perspectives on social change at the local, regional, and global levels.