The School of Social Sciences has a regular intake in August.
Candidates may start applying online from 01 October for consideration to the following August intake. The application portal closes on 15th November for the Nanyang Research Scholarship (same portal for self-financing students), and 30th November for the Nanyang President's Graduate Scholarship. Late applications will not be processed.
Candidates who would like to be considered for Scholarship should meet the stipulated deadlines. Candidates applying for the Nanyang President's Graduate Scholarship (NPGS) need not submit an additional application for the Nanyang Research Scholarship (RSS). However, RSS candidates will not be considered for the NPGS unless application has been made directly for the NPGS.
Applications for the January intake will begin in June and end in July prior to the admission period. The application portal closes on 31 July for the Nanyang Research Scholarship (same portal for self-financing students).
Candidates shortlisted for admission will be notified of the outcome anytime between March to May for the August intake and November to December for the January intake (if applicable).
Incomplete applications will not
be processed by the School. Applications will only be considered
complete upon the submission of the online Referee Reports.
Only the first choice in subject area of the applicant will be
processed. Candidates who wish to be considered to more than one subject area
will have to make separate applications.
Applicants have to ensure the accuracy of all data before submission is
made as no amendments are permitted once the application is submitted.
Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview
in-person or through Skype. Admission depends on the quality of the
application, including the academic record, relevant experience, and strength
of the research proposal (guide). Admission also depends on availability of an
appropriate supervisor and availability of scholarship.
Please refer to the 'Apply to SSS' page for more information.
Admission requirements for Ph.D. in
- A good first degree in Economics or related field from a highly ranked university, with at least second upper honors.
- An adequate background in Mathematics/Quantitative Methods.
- An excellent GRE score, especially in the quantitative section (minimum requirement: Verbal & Quantitative Reasoning 319 out of 340 and Analytical Writing 3.5 out of 6.0). GRE is not required from NTU, NUS or SMU graduates.
- A good language proficiency score: IELTS score at least 7.0 (on all subtests); TOEFL score at least 105 (IELTS is preferred).
Applicants from Singapore universities and English speaking countries are exempted from IELTS/TOEFL.
- It is strongly recommended for applicants to contact one of the professors whom they wish to work with. Applicants can discuss their proposal with the faculty member and ask for suggestions and feedback prior to submitting the application.
can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.